Affinity or dissociation constant?

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Fri Jun 2 18:51:22 EST 2000

Both.  The association constant and the dissociation constant are
reciprocal.  It just depends on how you write the binding equilibrium.
For a bimolecular reaction under pseudo-first order conditions (i.e.
protein is vast excess to DNA) you can think of the dissociation
constant as the concentration needed to get half-maximal occupancy of
the site.  Thus, lower Kd means it takes less to get the same amount of
binding - this is what one thinks of for higher affinity or stronger
binding.

Note, however, that while the qualitative idea is still OK, the idea of
half-maximal binding at Kd breaks down when there are more than 2
components in the reaction, since the units become M^2, M^3 etc.

Jim Hu
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Texas A&M Univ.