Sputum for C&S

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Mon Jun 5 17:08:47 EST 2000

> Diagnosis by sputum
>depends too much on an experianced microbiologist, and many
>laboratories routinely fail proficiency tests of common pathogens like
>S. pneumoniae. How would these labs fair when dealing with the flora
>found in sputum.

So to save money we should not have "experienced microbiologists" reading
cultures and replace them with quickie antigen tests?

With changing antibiogram patterns and newly defined organisms I definately
want an experienced microbiologist doing a full culture AND sensitivities on my
infection! This great need in this country to save money on health care by
doing cheaper, faster, less accurate things is going to cost much more money
and lives in the long run.
John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.