fungal storage

Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Mon Jun 26 18:38:35 EST 2000

Don't know any sources for this methodology, but years ago, in the mid-70's,
we kept our fungal cultures in long term storage on a Saboraud's slant, after
growing it up, of course, and then pouring sterilized mineral oil over the
slant.  It kept them for quite some time.  Of course, if you're using a
regular loop, the oil gets all over your loop and it gets kind of messy.  We
used gas bunsen burners at the time.  I don't know how this would work with
electric burners.  I would think subculturing with a disposable loop would
eliminate these problems.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology