fungal storage

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 20:29:49 EST 2000

No it's not silly - I've found it a little frustrating. About 10 years ago our
mycologist tried lyopholysing all our fungal stocks - a couple of hundred. It
was a lot of effort that apparently went to waste. None of the hyphal fungi
ever grew from the vials. I don't know if it was a failure of the system, but
the Actino's and Nocardia's did well even after 10 yrs.

I found the sterile water and the sterile oil to be equally good. Of course it
does help to sub culture them once in a while.

>HI
>   This may sound silly. But can anyone, tell me a good method for long
>storage of fungal cultures like they do for bacteria by glycerol storage.
>  secondly, a good protocol for fungal staining and visualisation under
>light microscrope.
>  thanking you in advance
>cheers
>jayakumar

John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.