fungal storage

Mike Challen mike.challen at hri.ac.uk_nospam
Wed Jun 28 03:08:19 EST 2000

Storage in liquid nitrogen is probably the best long term method, but not the
only or cheapest,  for preserving filamentous fungi.
A cheaper alternative can be storage as water cultures.
Try the references below and look out for the CMI book; The preservation and
maintenance of fungi by D. Smith & A.H.S. Onions.  I have the 1983 edition
but I'm sure there is a revised edition.

Challen, M.P. & Elliott, T.J. (1986) Polypropylene straw ampoules for the
storage of micro-organisms in liquid nitrogen. Journal of Microbiological
Methods 5, 11-23.
Boeswinkel, H.J. (1976) Storage of fungal cultures in water.  Transactions of
British Mycological Society 66, 183-185.
Jones R.J. et. al. (1991) A minaturised system for storage of fungal cultures
in water. Mycologist 5, 184-186.

Good luck!
Mike