Stable isotope growth medium

Carsten Richter carsten.richter at rz.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 30 09:45:35 EST 2000

Most growth media, like LB, are using yeast as a basic ingredient.
Some media, containing stable isotopes such as 13C and 15N, are based on
algae. We think about trying to develop a stable isotop growth medium, based
on higher plants.
At this moment this is just an idea and we are not sure, whether it is a
good idea or not. Because our background is not Microbiology but plant
production we need some help. So, we are looking for people who could give
us any ideas or comments.
Why is yeast so commonly used? Because of the price?
Why are algea used for isotope media?
Are there standards for growth media?
Are there growth media based on higher plants?
Who uses isotope media?

Thanks in advance

Carsten Richter
Humboldt University Berlin