Some questions 2

Francis Kuttner dirt_spot at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 00:41:45 EST 2000

Dear research scientists, molecular biologists and biologists at large,

I have some questions that I am stumped on going through a worksheet
while studying for my pathobiology final examination...Any help in
answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
~Fran

T or F
X-rays produced as a consequence of electron scattering have
characteristic energy levels that are unique to the chemical element
from which the X-rays were elicited, thus enabling the investigator to
identify the element in question, and with appropriate control
standards, to quantify the amount of the element that is present.

In reference to ploidy studies, a diploid population is referred to as
"2N" because it has twice as much DNA as the normal G0/G1 population
which is said to be "1N".

The primary advantages of Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy are: 1)
that as the laser(s) scans back and forth across the specimen field,
only a small portion of the specimen is illuminated at any one instant,
thereby eliminating overlapping fluorescence from adjacent,
intensely-stained objects, and 2) that image information is acquired
only from one precisely-determined focal plane (depth), making it
possible to "optically section" the specimen.

---------
If I am asked to prepare a recombinant DNA library to isolate the
particular gene.  The expressed protein product has commercial value and

I would like the gene cloned to examine the genomic organization of the
DNA.  Which of these vectors could I use? Cosmid, phage, plasmid, BAC,
or expression vector?

Let's say that I have successfully generated the genomic library using
human DNA to isolate the gene that I am interested in....what methods
could I use to screen my library if partial genomic clone is available?
Nucleic acid hybridization, antibody screening, cDNA probe made from
mRNA, or radioactively labeled protein probe...or can I not screen
because no probe is available?

To create a genetic linkage map of the human genome, all of the
following are necessary except:
physical or molecular markers, families to study the segregation of
these markers, identifiable restriction polymorphisms of DNA markers,
human genomic libraries, complete DNA sequence of the marker being used.

Are mouse models useful in testing efficiency of gene therapy?

Chip technology is useful for all of the following except:
to measure RNA levels for the complete set of transcripts from an
organism, to evaluate several mutations at the same time for a gene,
genotyping, drug sensitivity in bacteria, phenotyping.