Question...

gerne at my-deja.com gerne at my-deja.com
Wed Nov 8 23:48:45 EST 2000

I think you may find good sources for anthrax in Kruger National Park
in Afrika. The highest genetic diversity is found there suggesting it
to be the place of origin.

Otherwise you might want to search the literature. It won't live
between the pages, but it is amazing what people publish.

Optimized production and purification of Bacillus anthracis lethal
factor

Abstract:
Bacillus anthracis lethal factor (LF) is a 90-kDa zinc metalloprotease
that plays an important role in the virulence of the organism. LF has
previously been purified from Escherichia coli and Bacillus anthracis,
The yields and purities of these preparations were inadequate for
crystal structure determination. In this study, the genes encoding wild-
type LF and a mutated, inactive LF (LF-E687C) were placed in an E. coli-
Bacillus shuttle vector so that LF was produced with the protective
antigen (PA) signal peptide at its N-terminus. The resulting vectors,
pSJ115 and pSJ121, express wild-type and mutated LF fusion proteins,
respectively. Expression of the LF genes is under the control of the PA
promoter and, during secretion, the PA signal peptide is cleaved to
release the 90-kDa LF proteins. The wild-type and mutated LF proteins
were purified from the culture medium using three chromatographic steps
(Phenyl-Sepharose, Q-Sepharose, and hydroxyapatite). The purified
proteins were greater than 95% pure and yields (20-30 mg/L) were higher
than those obtained in other expression systems (1-5 mg/L). These
proteins have been crystallized and are being used to solve the crystal
structure of LF. Their potential use in anthrax vaccines is also
discussed. (C) 2000 Academic Press.

$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...