mutational bacterial strains

Tom Knight tk at pasteur.ai.mit.edu
Tue Nov 14 18:28:06 EST 2000

"Gary G. Wilson" <ggw5 at columbia.edu> writes:

You might want to look at the Stratagene XL1-Red strain, which is
deficient in all of the DNA repair mechanisms.  It is a very very sick
bug, but it does mutate like crazy.  One problem with using it is that
the only way to get your mutations stable enough to look at is to
miniprep the XL-1 Red bugs and retransform in a healthy strain.