gcouger gcouger at
Tue Nov 21 02:51:33 EST 2000

I know it has been grown from the soil around Oklahoma State University.
They very carefully explained what it looked like and where we were likely
to find it. That was 30 years ago not they just tell them what it looks

I suspect like all clostridium spores they are pretty common in area where
livestock have been.
Gordon    W5RED
G. C. Couger gcouger at  Stillwater, OK

"Mike Syvanen" <syvanen at> wrote in message
news:3A198EAF.E947D197 at
: exo1a at wrote:
: > In article <8udabc$65$1 at>,
: >   gerne at wrote:
: > > I think you may find good sources for anthrax in Kruger National
: > > in Afrika. The highest genetic diversity is found there suggesting
: > > to be the place of origin.
: >
: > I have heard that it can be found in the soil in many places,
: > the U.S., but do not know how one would cultivate it from a soil
: > (I doubt you can just dump a scoop of dirt into your nutrient medium
: > wait for it to grow since there will be lots of other stuff in there
: > will grow as well).  Or for that matter, what medium you would use.
: The growth medium has been published, but if you lack sufficient
: skills to find this is the primary literature, you probably lack the
: to grow it anyway.
: To obtain the spore you can request it from the ATCC.  They will
: automatically forward your request to the FBI so you should be ready
: to deal with the ensuing red tape.
: Yes the spores are found in US soils.  The man arrested in Nevada
: for growing anthrax bacillus found his that way; apparently through
: an old newspaper story he located a burial site for an infected herd of
: cattle.
: Mike Syvanen