Pantoea

Dilworth bactitech at hortonsbay.com
Wed Nov 22 10:19:44 EST 2000

There is an old old test we used to do to confirm E. agglomerans in the 70's.  I
have no idea as to a reference for it, but it always worked.  Just grow some of
the organism in a broth like TSB overnight.  Then, take a drop of it, coverslip,
and look under 10X or 20X for something called "symplasmata."  They are globs of
the bacteria that (pardon my description) look like formed human feces in shape
only.  If we saw symplasmata, we called it E. agglomerans.  Also, this organism
is bright yellow on Mueller Hinton (we used to do Kirby Bauer sensitivities
years ago and the color was described to me as "Girl Scout Yellow" after the
yellow ties we used to wear in the 60's around our necks).  They are usually
ampicillin and cephalosporin resistant, also.

Hope this helps.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology