Pantoea

John Gentile yjgent at home.com
Wed Nov 22 22:35:48 EST 2000

Pantoea agglomerans (formally known as Enterobacter agglomerans) is (IMHO) a
difficult organism to pin down. I always thought that the name "agglomerans"
meant that is was an agglomeration of a bunch of related species that
couldn't be defined. Many of the reaction charts list +/- reactions for many
substrates. I've found that the API 20E strips did a very good job at
distinguishing all the Enterobacters, and was often frustrated with the
Vitek GNI card. I think the GNI+ card is a little better, but would still
trust the API. I think the MicroScan does OK with the Enterobacters, but
still not as good as API. (I'm not trying to sell API - honest!)

I also remember a long forgotten test for Enterobacters - the KCN test
(that's potassium cyanide) - of course that was back in the days of mouth
pipetting and I'm still here!

--
John Gentile                            Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at home.com                         Past President, Publicity Chairman