How can I make bacteria produce hydrogen?

Bruce A. Caldwell caldwelb at fsl.orst.edu
Fri Nov 24 15:17:44 EST 2000

WHY hydrogen and not methane ?  The latter is much easier/safer to handle in
terms of collection, storage, distribution and utilization.  Methanogenesis is
much more common among anaerobic bacteria than  hydrogen production (limited to
a few clostriidia).  Many landfills already 'harvest' bio-methane for internal
use or export.

Ron D. Jones (Florida International University) at one time developed a process
for converting H2 to methane through a bioreactor using crushed oyster shells.

Sincerely,
Bruce Caldwell
Forest Science
Oregon State University