A question of concentration...

Matthias xanthos at ngi.de
Tue Oct 3 04:50:29 EST 2000

I didn't mention it, but Justin is right, I'm asking about the highest
ethanol concentration.
The reason for my question is quite simple.
I want to create an advocaat on my own and want to be sure not to serve
drinks potentially containing pathogenic salmonellae.

The recipe is:

6 fresh hen's eggs
150 g icing sugar
1/4 vanilla pod
3/4 cup of milk (boiled)
1/4 cup of evaporated milk (10% fat)
200 g whipped cream (30% fat)
125 ml ethanol (90%)
a bit rum flavor

Yet in Germany you don't get such high-proof drinkable ethanol anywhere else
than at the pharmacy where it has its price. So, it has to work out with
tasteless ethanol 69.9%vol, the highest I could get.
Mixing it all together according to instruction takes not much more than ten
minutes. As a result you'll have about 900ml liquid (without the 125ml
ethanol 69.9%). Finally it's a bit more than one liter. What remains after
the whole procedure is therefore an ethanol concentration of less than 9%.
The weakening concentration is the crucial point.
I do not believe that 9% do any harm to salmonellae.

So, what is the deathly concentration?
Or generally, how to kill salmonellae without ruining the eggs?

8rapea$kha$1 at news.tamu.edu...