A question of concentration...

Richard P. Grant rpg14 at yahoo.co.uk.invalid
Tue Oct 3 07:00:06 EST 2000

In article <39d9b4d0$0$16590$7d5a4a58 at news.compuserve.de>, "Matthias"
<xanthos at ngi.de> wrote:

> 6 fresh hen's eggs
> 150 g icing sugar

<snip>

> I do not believe that 9% do any harm to salmonellae.

Maybe not.  What's advocaat in the shops?  15%?  I think you're going to
have to pay for the 90% to get that high.

> So, what is the deathly concentration?
> Or generally, how to kill salmonellae without ruining the eggs?

The question you should ask is, does Salmonella survive in 9% alcohol
AND half molar sugar??

And you should get your eggs from not a supermarket, but a local farm,
where salmonella is less likely to be endemic. . . .

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil      http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/

Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk'