A question of concentration...

Marc Twayne nowotrojn at tamu.edu
Tue Oct 3 11:10:49 EST 2000

In article <rpg14-F34EB4.16481703102000 at nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk>,
rpg14 at yahoo.co.uk.invalid says...

>In article <8rcqqb$14j$1 at news.tamu.edu>, lkjoihogn at tamu.edu (Gram
>Stain) wrote:
>
>> Love the concept--but I am not so sure you would be less likely to find
>> Salmonella contaminated eggs at a small farm as at a super market.
>
>My point is that - at least in this country - salmonella is endemic in
>battery farms.  You can't get rid of it.  With your local farm, the hens
>are usually running around in the field out the back, not exposed to
>such a poll of infection, and I *guess* there's last chance of having S.
>running rife.  Be interesting to see.
>
>--
>Richard P. Grant MAD Phil      http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/
>
>Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk'

Well, either way, the formula needs to be examined in an experimental setting
with Enteritidis deliberately introduced into the cocktail.  Then, samples
can be taken and Enteritidis enumerated at various times after the ethanol
is added.  This can be done of course with various ethanol concentrations.

Probably the whole thing could be written up and published in The Journal of
Food Protection.

Of course, the paper should contain a section on organoleptic testing
of the product as well.  (If you can find the volunteers willing to take
a chance on a raw egg product.)  With such a section added to the manuscript
you could
try for J. Food Technology,  Applied and Environmental Micro. etc.,

While opening the door to a new product of gustatory importance, Matthias
has inadvertently proposed a worthy experiment.  International cooperation
and collaboration are warranted, to say nothing of a substantial grant.

One more spin,  is there a difference in ethanol concentration needed for
eggs contaminated by Phage Type 4 Enteritidis and those contaminated with
perhaps Phage Type 13a;  and what about other serovars that sometimes
find their way into the egg?

A whole world of research opportunity has just been opened up...
any grad students/postdocs  want to play?  This could make your career in
Food Tech/Food Safety/ Food Microbiology!