Brom Cresol Purple

news.istar.ca pipeinfo at istar.ca
Fri Oct 6 07:21:36 EST 2000

We are attempting to develop a TSB broth with Brom Cresol Purple (BCP) which
will test for subtilis and stearothermophilus.  However, while these bugs
grow beautifully in straight TSB, once we add the BCP indicator, we fail to
achieve adequate growth due to BCP's inhibitory nature towards subtilis and
stearothermophilus.  Any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem?

We are also seeking the names of alternate manufacturers of BCP who may be
able to provide a less inhibitory lot.  Suggestions?