auxotrophic

Rafael Maldonado rmaldonado at ua.es
Wed Oct 25 03:11:45 EST 2000

Emir Khatipov wrote:

> It does not have to be a mutant.

Sorry, I don't agree. An auxotroph is a mutant strain which need a
nutritional requirement that the wild type does not require. It is the
only way to detect a auxotrophic requirement. Whitout this premise,
every living organism is auxotroph (except some cyanobacteria, which can
live with practicaly air and sunlight)

For example, Homo sapiens is not a auxotroph of vitamin C, because
although people need vitamin C for living, the wild type (actually,
everybody) does need it.

Auxotrophic organism would just have a

--
Rafael Maldonado