auxotrophic

Emir ekhatipo at NOSPAMmidway.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 30 22:22:27 EST 2000

I don't think that the term auxotroph should (though can) be applied to
complex organisms like H. sapiens. On the other hand, since you've mentioned
cyanobacteria, heterocysts of filamentous cyanobacteria can fix nitrogen,
while other cells from the same filament (about 90%) cannot grow without
nitrogen and would depend on N fixed by heterocysts. Nobody knows "wild
type" of ,e.g, Thiocapsa roseopersicina (purple sulfur bacterium) that would
be able to grow on minimal medium not supplemented with vitamin B12. In case
of Thiocapsa, as well as some other bacteria (wild type), it is just the
property of a species to have nutritional requirements.

Which mutant is a wild-type species having a certain nutritional
requirement?

So, both terms, auxotrophic and wild type, have a pretty arbitrary
definition. And this is what I meant by saying that an auxotroph is not
always a mutant.

Emir

news:39F695C1.3AB6E67E at ua.es...