ethylene oxide

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 19:56:05 EST 2000

>I am trying to stop the re-introduction of ethylene oxide in a situation
>where we have a viable alternative.
>Can anyone provide details of www sites describing incidents involving this
>gas?
>Thanks for any help

I think that ETO is still the best way to sterilize fragile or heat liable
things. The only critical caveat is that it MUST sit for 24 hrs before anyone
can touch it to avoid ETO burns.
A couple of years ago our central supply installed a "plasma" sterilizer. I'm
not too clear on all the details but you should be able to find out about
plasma sterilization on the web. Try AMSCO (? amsco.com)
John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.