positive control for antagonism assay

Mike Dew internul1 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 13:13:34 EST 2000

This will sound like a very basic question, anyway...

In an experiment to detect bacteriocin-producing bacteria against L.
monocytogenes, I am trying to make a positive control with nisin in an
(adapted) deferred antagonism assay, but I have a problem. Briefly the
procedure is:

-adding nisin (0,3 mg/mL, from Sigma 2.5% nisin) in a sterilised culture
supernatant (no proteolytic enzymes added);
-multiple pH adjustments from 4.8 to 7.1 in tubes to fit the best pH;
-2 uL spots on a TSA plate;
-thin overlay with BHI agar seeded with Listeria
-incubation at 30 deg C 24 h.

Result: no inhibition zones at all ! Listeria feels pretty good in the
overlay. But I have inhibition zones around the lactic acid bacteria
colonies cultured by the same method... What is wrong ?

Thank you for help ...

M. Dew
Quebec, Canada