Bacitracin and Group A Streps

Dilworth bactitech at hortonsbay.com
Sat Aug 4 10:53:04 EST 2001

We have used PYR to identify Group D strep since the late 80's, at
least.  Before that, we set up Bile Esculin and 6.5% salt to
differentiate between enterococcal Group D and the non-enterococcal S.
bovis-equinus group.  At my present employer, we use PYR on suspected
group D or alpha streps.  If positive, they are called enterococci.  If
negative, we use Group D latex agglutination to ID the bovis group.  If
it's PYR negative and Group D latex positive we call the bug
non-enterococcal Group D.  If both are negative, we call it Strep.
viridans group on anything but a spinal fluid or positive blood
culture.  Then we set up a Vitek GPI identification card.

We use BBL media and have for many years.  I think they have the market
cornered in this neck of the woods, as they are on the national buying
contract as a supplier for our hospital (a large national Catholic
hospital group).

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology