Designer Diseases?

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 14:59:29 EST 2001

> If the state of the art isn't that far advanced, how soon will it be?
>
> If it can be done now, what kind of resources does it take: those of a
> rogue state? a terrorist group? a single mad scientist?

Dear Wordly,
            this kind of science takes a lot of trial and error which is
why I work with bacteria - I can make lots of mistakes with them and
nobody cares.  Also, they have a 20 minute life cycle so I can rapidly
make some more.  To make a specific disease for a human would take a lot
of experimenting and trial and error - I am sure _somebody_ would notice
the mistakes (dead bodies) piling up before a any mad scientist could
actually get a working model ready.  However, if you give me enough
money I will of course try for you.  Regards, Mike.