Bacitracin and Group A Streps

Nicholas Pope nrjpope at
Wed Aug 8 16:18:25 EST 2001

"Patrick Druggan" <Patrick.Druggan at> wrote in message
news:9kj9ra$5sg$1 at
> So is the consensus that bacitracin is still used by those using horse
> in their isolation media as both the enterococci and GAS are PYR positive,
> or is it more complex than that?
> Pd.

The UK lab where I work only uses bacitracin has a selective agent in choc.
plates for the isolation of Haemophilus.
Most labs I know of simply group any BHS using one of the many commercial
kits available, and any biochemical ID is done using API or equivalent.
Most UK labs use horse blood in blood - and related - plates.