mRNA composition of E.Coli

Dominic-Luc Webb molmed domweb at mbox.ki.se
Tue Aug 14 10:57:17 EST 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Trond Erik Vee Aune wrote:

> different conditions? I'm looking for a list of the concentration of
> different mRNAs in an exponential growing culture at 30 degrees celsius.
>
> Perhaps someone have used microarray to do this?
>
> Regards,
> Trond Erik Vee Aune

Consider this my shameless attempt to repay this list for
all the help I have been given (this is not my expertise)...

The potential for shifting to different mRNA is vividly
shown by the papers of Studier 1990 and 1986 describing
IPTG induction of T7 RNA polymerase to express proteins
coded on plasmids bearing the T7 promoter. You can find
the complete refs in Sambrook text Molecular Cloning in
the T7 bacteriophage protein expression sections.

The papers above show very clearly that E coli is
capable of shifting from complete expression of cellular
protein prior to IPTG induction to nearly ALL of the cell
protein content being target protein coded by the
plasmid. The papers show both nucleotide and protein
gels. The shift from cellular protein expression to
target protein expression happens in just 2-3 hours!
I would expect this to be the extreme case, but could
say much about E coli upon infection with phage, in
which case cell resources might end up producing more
phage.

There is also a paper in another species that shows
very clear shifting of expression of metabolic gene
expression that is triggered by various culturing
conditions...

Nakajima K. Kunihiro S. Sano M. Zhang Y. Eto S. Chang YC. Suzuki T. Jigami
Y. Machida M. Comprehensive cloning and expression analysis of glycolytic
genes from the
filamentous fungus, Aspergillus oryzae. Current Genetics. 37(5):322-7,
2000 May.

I hope this is helpful. It is about all I can offer.

Dominic