Microbiology List: lipase-assay

Richard Murphy murph at uic.edu
Thu Aug 30 18:21:18 EST 2001

This request came through last April.  In my original response I mentioned
Difco's Spirit Blue Agar but didn't know if they still carried that.  If
one tries to find Spirit Blue itself, with the intent of making your own
medium, it is hard to find because it is rarely listed under that name.   I
knew that eventually I would come across the alternate name and finally
have.  So, if Betta is still reading this list, the alternate names are
Aniline Blue or Solvent Blue 3.  Get the alcohol and oil soluble one as
there is also an aniline blue that is water soluble. That one has the
alternate name of China Blue (and perhaps others).  Spirit Blue (Aniline
Blue) is a pH indicator and responds nicely to the lowering of the pH by
the fatty acids produced by the breakdown of lipids.  Now, I don't know if
anyone still sells this.  My last purchase, years and years ago was from
Allied Chemical, Morristown, New Jersey, USA.
 >Hi there,
> >
> >I'm trying to verify the presence of lipases from marine bacteria.....
> >the growth in presence of Spirit Blue dye is the only method that I
> >know, but I haven't this dye!!!!
> >How can I do????
> >
> >thank you so much.
> >
> >Betta.