Nano-organisms

John Cherwonogrodzky jcherwon at dres.dnd.ca
Mon Dec 10 14:50:57 EST 2001

Dear Colleagues:
     A few years ago, I was at a conference (I believe it was in Munich,
Germany, but I'm not sure) and a speaker gave a short presentation on
nano-organisms (as opposed to micro-organisms). Tissue cultures
sometimes weaken or die with little understanding why. Often there is
the assumption that the cause is mycoplasma. The investigator developed
immuno-specific antiserum against the causative agent and presented
slides that these were not mycoplasma, but far smaller parasitic
bacteria (coating the outside of the tissue culture cell, possibly
secreting toxins to cause cell death). These infectious agent were in
the range of 10 nanometers across.
     Has anyone heard of this and can they give me a lead on the
presenter so I could get more information?
     Also, a while back I read that Dr. Rita Colwell has found that
cholera can enter a phase of growth where the cells are compact and can
squeeze through a filter. Does anyone have references I can look these
up?
    Thanks....John