Pattern of microbiologist deaths?

Thomas Keske tkeske at mediaone.net
Sun Dec 16 22:48:05 EST 2001

> Working in science means that you are exposed to dangers. I am offended at
> your absolute insensitivity towards the families of people like Set.  This
> happened less than a week ago, and the entire Australian scientific
> community is still dealing with the implications.

I am just forwarding an article that I received, but I don't believe that
it is insensitive.  The mainstream press has also theorized about some
of these incidents, and the FBI has been quite interested- a
"conspiracy theory" of their own, about terrorist involvement.

There are lots of strange things going on, these days, in case you
hadn't noticed- anthrax letters, etc, which makes a pattern like this
something to raise an eyebrow, not to avoid discussion.

As a scientist, you react too emotionally, and ought to be more
objective about the possiblities.   The possiblities of cults and
terrorists are reasonable enough.

> I question the value of your contributions to anything microbiological,
and
> ask in future, you display some level of respect for the people you are
> dragging into your conspiracy theories. If you are trying to convince
people
> of your beliefs, try a more gullible and less discerning newsgroup, and
> leave this sort of hyperbole to the X-Files and 60 MINUTES.

You lump "60 Minutes" in with "X-Files"?   The 60 Minutes show does
some credible investigative work, from time to time.   The hyperbole
appears to be yours.  If the group is "discerning", it would be interested
in hearing about these multiple incidents, regardless of what the ultimate
explanation for them might be.

I can imagine how a "Unibomber" type of anti-technology cult
might be unfortunately inspired by a lengthy legacy of irresponsible
experimentation, profiteering, arrogance, censorship,
human guinea pigs, coverups, etc.     Perhaps the string of nasty
coincidences is a product of a kind of "bad karma".  You can call
that speculation "insensitive" too, but it happens to be a fair
characterization and legitimate possibility, so there is no reason
to refrain from stating it.

Sincerely, Tom Keske