Pattern of microbiologist deaths?

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at tnw.tudelft.nl
Mon Dec 17 04:05:29 EST 2001

"Thomas Keske" <tkeske at mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:VVdT7.16180$Sj1.9051987 at typhoon.ne.mediaone.net...

> There are lots of strange things going on, these days, in case you
> hadn't noticed- anthrax letters, etc, which makes a pattern like this
> something to raise an eyebrow, not to avoid discussion.

What pattern? There are so many microbiologists in the world that it would
be strange if a few had not come to accidentl or violent ends. We are no
more vulnerable than anyone else.

> As a scientist, you react too emotionally, and ought to be more
> objective about the possiblities.   The possiblities of cults and
> terrorists are reasonable enough.

But trolling around, looking to build a theory of conspiracy on a few
unrelated cases (the only linking factor that I can see being that the
people were bioscientists - not even in the same branch) is not reasonable.
The level of reason is on the same level as deciding that you know what
conclusion you want to reach, an then looking for a few experimental results
to support it. You give the impression that you are either looking for
attention, or trying to cause a panic. You could build the same model using
car mechanics or actors - or any other group.
Using such recent deaths for your little conspiracy theory in a forum where
you can reasonably expect to find friends or colleagues of the people
involved who are still trying to deal with events exhibits maximum
insensitivity and small-mindedness. And no, I did not know any of these
people, and I am not emotionally involved.
Lesley Robertson