..fungal titers?

Dilworth bactitech at hortonsbay.com
Tue Feb 20 01:10:46 EST 2001

All work with fungi such as A. niger which produce aerial hyphae must be
done under a safety hood in medical laboratories.  I agree with John -
why would you be doing titers on this type of organism?

If nothing else, all of the spores from the A. niger will contaminate
everything in the room!  We also clean our hoods down with a
disinfectant or bleach solution to help prevent cross contamination,
mainly because of organisms like Aspergillus and Penicillium that are
rapid growers and can mess up other plates.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology