Filamentous bacteria identification

Larry Farrell farrlarr at
Sun Feb 25 14:57:42 EST 2001

Since all of the sheathed bacteria mentioned are Gram negative, it appears
that might not be what you have.  Nocardia is usually Gram positive, so
that might be a better guess.  Refer to Bergey's Manual for information on
physiological testing for differentiation.  Brock's 8th edition of Biology
of Microorganisms is a good source for basic information, as are several
other basic microbiology books.

Albert Parisien wrote:

> Thank you Mr. Farrell for your answer,
> The person who took the pictures told me it was a Gram +, diam of
> filament between 1.2 to 1.5 micron with an hypha constituted of cocci
> like cells.
> Is there any coloration or test I could do to determine wich bacteria I
> have?
> Could the bacteria be a nocardia sp ?
> I also need to find information on the life cycle ( division time) of
> filamentous bacteria  is there a good web page that could help me?

Larry D. Farrell, Ph,D.
Professor of Microbiology
Idaho State University