staphylococcus aureus

Nicholas Pope nrjpope at
Tue Feb 27 13:17:47 EST 2001

"WasGross" <wasgross at> wrote in message
news:20010225193556.20837.00002824 at
> The Clinical Lab I work in has had an increase in the number of latex
> Staph aureus' the last 3 months,also. We follow up the staphaurex with
> microscan identification. They look picture perfect and smell just like
> aureus so we call them. They have been both MRSA and not MRSA. It is very
> disturbing.
>      About once a year we see a catalase negative Staph aureus.
>                         Donna

What about tube coagulase and DNase reactions?

Catalse negative S. aureus do occur. S. aureus subsp. anaerobius is listed
as cat-ve, as is S. saccharolyticus (Manual of Clin. Microbiology 6th Ed.

see also
Isolation and characterisation of a catalase-negative strain of
Staphylococcus aureus.  J. Clin. Microbiol 16: 593-4, 1982