Bacillus subtilis info

Richard Oeffner roeffner at csusm.edu
Tue Jan 23 13:55:05 EST 2001

"Handbook of Microbiological Media, 2nd" by R.M. Atlas has at least 10
different types of  media which support growth of  B. subtilis...as well
as generic media for Bacillus spp. It should be readily available in any
college library.

An example is Bacillus Medium:

Composition per Liter:

Agar 25g; Peptone 6.0 g; Pancreatic digest of casein 3.0 g; Yeast
Extract 3.0 g; Beef Extract 1.5 g; MnSO4 4H20 1.0 µg.  pH 7.0 ± 0.2 @ 25
C. Add  components to DI water, bring volume to 1 L. Autocalve.

There are many other recipes, in general they are nutrient agar/broth
with the addition of MnSO4 for sporulation.

Richard Oeffner
Cal State San Marcos