Endotoxin Testing

Derek Law dlaw at idgplc.com
Wed Jan 31 08:23:58 EST 2001

Endotoxins are derived from the cell walls of gram negative bacteria, and
are very heat resistant. It is possible to have something that is
microbiologically sterile but which contains endotoxin, example, an
autoclaved suspension of E. coli will be sterile but will be packed with
endotoxin. When carrying out endotoxin tests, tubes and pipettes are
generally made from glass which can be sterilised in a hot air oven at 200C.
This is capable of destroying endotoxin, preventing false positives. Pipette
tips etc are normally purchased from manufacturers specifying their products
are endotoxin free. If you use water for making dilutions or for controls it
is imporatnt to use water guaranteed to be free of endotoxin, autoclaving
and filtersterilising cannot be relied on to produce endotoxin free water.

Hope this helps

Derek Law

Company Microbiologist

LAB M