transformation of Bacillus

R. Jayakumar jakku at
Sun Jun 10 07:32:36 EST 2001

   I badly need some help here.  I have been trying my best to transform my
bacillus isolate with a plasmid construct.  The isolate looks like a new
strain of Bacillus subtilis.  But I need to put my construct into it.  I
have tried natural competency method, electroporation etc..and even
triparental mating.  But to no avail.  The strain stubbornly refuses to
accept the DNA>  Can any good samaritan give me some ideas on how to go
about it.  I will be eternally grateful to him.
   thank you

R. Jayakumar
Dept. of Molecular Microbiology,
School of Biotechnology,
Madurai Kamaraj University,
Madurai - 625021. India.
tel: +91-452-859141(night hours), +91-452-858471 (ask to connect to 374)
Efax: (603)-688-4665
Email: jakkku at, (send a copy to jakku at ....just in
Science is constructed of facts like a house is of bricks, but a mere
accumulation of facts does not make science nor does a pile of bricks a
-Henri Poincare