Need help finding bacteria that produce water soluble pigments

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at tnw.tudelft.nl
Fri Jun 29 03:48:01 EST 2001

"Graham Shepherd" <muhero.nospam at globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:tjn8q3glin18ea at xo.supernews.co.uk...
> Ethidium <imodium at iname.com> wrote in message
> news:3b3afafc$1 at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm after finding any common strains of bacteria that may produce
visible
> > water soluble pigments for a research project on bacterial
growth/survival
> .
> > I'm after using the pigment production as an indicator of
growth/survival.

> > So far the only bacteria I have found is pseudomonas aeruginosa ... are
> > there any others that are common?
> >

> Serratia marcescens (or whatever it's called these days) is pink; and of
> course there's the golden staphylococcus. Don't know if the pigments are
> water-soluble though. Alexander Fleming used to paint pictures on agar
with
> different coloured species of bacteria.

Of course, it's a good idea to consider the containment levels these bugs
need, plus the age/expertise of the target group... Serratia and Staph are
both low level pathogens (level 2) - not for beginners in this country (NL).
What about blue-green algae? Pseudomonas aureofaciens is level 1 and bright
yellow.
Lesley Robertson
http://www.beijerinck.bt.tudelft.nl