Arcanobacterium

Rhonda rd-ohl at home.com
Fri Mar 9 19:25:50 EST 2001

Does anyone know anything about this bacterium? Arcanobacterium Haemolyticum (A. Haemolyticum)
My 16 yr old daughter is having a tonsillectomy next week and I have a sneaking suspicion this is the cause.
She started having tonsillitis about a year ago and the diagnosis was Strep A based on observation not on testing. Penicillin in pill form didn't work for her so we proceeded to use Penicillin IM. This went on about every three months. Being an MT specializing in Microbiology I finally decided to do some research myself but all I could find was an older article on Medscape where it was included in an article about Rhodococcus Equi. It indicated that this is a common (?) co-infection in people 15 to 30 yrs who have been diagnosed with Group A or other beta hemolytic streps. Also with Mono, which my daughter also had , confirmed by testing. It says that there are reports of treatment failure with Penicillin and the DOC is Erythromycin. It also says that it must be specifically sought in appropriate specimens to obtain an accurate diagnosis.
My concern is that we do not routinely screen throat cultures for this organism. I was wondering if any other labs do? And if they do, what documentation they have that I could give to our Microbiologist to convince him we should be.
As a mother I am upset that this was overlooked and now my daughter has to have surgery instead of a different antibiotic. As a professional I want to do all I can to save other patients from the same fate. Maybe it is all so simple as my GP doc should have known about it and treated her accordingly...they are just human after all...but if it is our mistake by not screening for it I would like to correct that.
Thanks for your time and in advance for your input. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!