help!!

John Gentile yjgent at home.com
Sat Mar 10 19:10:40 EST 2001

Be VERY, VERY careful when decolorizing your Gram stain. Look to see what
media it grows on. There are very few Gram Neg rods that do not grow on the
usual Gram neg agars like MacConkey's.

Don't assume that every microbiology test is a hard and fast rule - there is
a great deal of "gray" in between the black and white (or the Gram pos blue
and the Gram neg red). An accurate Gram stain is best done on a fresh
organism - try one from a 6 hour broth culture.

A case in point - you probably learned that E. coli is a lactose fermenting,
indole positive, motility positive GNR. I've seen E. coli colonies that were
non lactose fermenting, indole negative, motility negative and 1 that was
H2S positive - it looked like Salmonella.

--
John Gentile                                    Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at home.com                                      President