Microbiology List: FW: microorganisms in fish tanks

Yersinia yersinia at cybernex.net
Tue Mar 13 17:40:49 EST 2001

Dutch writes,

<I am in a Biology class at Fauquier High School, in Warrenton, VA. I am
currently working on a study of the microorganisms in both fresh and salt
water fish tanks. As of yet, I am unsuccessful in finding anything. Is
this
an error on my part, or are there no microorganisms in the fish tanks?>

How are you attempting to isolate the organisms? What kind of
microbiology equipment does your high school have? If I were going to
make a study of this kind (and it sounds really, REALLY interesting!),
I'd hope to have the following on hand:

Sterile sample cups, pipettes and test tubes to collect the samples in.
Vacuum filtration unit with membrane filtration cups and 0.45 micron
filters.
Solid agar petri dishes with R2A medium (for freshwater) and mineral
salts agar (for saltwater).
Incubator, 30-35C.
Microscope, sterile loops and slides.

~Yersinia.