surface disinfectant

lamb L.A.M.Buisman at chello.nl
Sat Mar 24 11:12:29 EST 2001


So it was 1%. Shouldn't do any damage then.
We still have the problem that it is not effective against mycobacteria.
Higher concentrations would be, but that does damage to the safety-hood.
Denatured ethanol or isopropanol 70% are common disinfectants here for lab
surfaces.
Lyorthol was used also, but that is not allowed anymore for disinfection.
Safety, environment or whatever. Our government still hasn't allowed a good
alternative. So labs are still using old illegal lyorthol stocks or pray that
1% chlorine kills some of the mycobacteria in our waste.

Loes

Dilworth wrote:

> I checked with our former safety officer tonight about the bleach
> solution.  He said we used it (20% bleach) because bleach gave a better
> kill rate than any of the other disinfectants we could buy commercially
> (and it was cheap).  He said he made it from household bleach, so that
> it would be approx. a 1% working solution.
>
> You could also make it from some of the fancy smelling bleaches Clorox
> is putting out now, but it would be more expensive.
>
> He also said we never had problems with it pitting any of the stainless
> steel finishes on any of our equipment, either.  He had never heard of
> anyone using an alcohol for this purpose.
>
> The only thing you really have to be careful about it not to splash it
> on your clothes.
>
> Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
> Microbiology
>
> Dilworth wrote:
> >
> > I was always under the assumption it was 20% bleach.  This was at my
> > former hospital that closed in 1996, but our safety officer from that
> > time now works at my place in chemistry on my shift, so I will run it by
> > him.......

--
Chello in het ziekenfondspakket?
Onverzekerbare risico's vallen onder de AWBZ





More information about the Microbio mailing list