surface disinfectant

Michael Witty mw132 at
Sat Mar 24 12:52:15 EST 2001

. . . how does bleach relate to the "gas" used in World War One?  Mike.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Dilworth wrote:

> I checked with our former safety officer tonight about the bleach
> solution.  He said we used it (20% bleach) because bleach gave a better
> kill rate than any of the other disinfectants we could buy commercially
> (and it was cheap).  He said he made it from household bleach, so that
> it would be approx. a 1% working solution.  
> You could also make it from some of the fancy smelling bleaches Clorox
> is putting out now, but it would be more expensive.
> He also said we never had problems with it pitting any of the stainless
> steel finishes on any of our equipment, either.  He had never heard of
> anyone using an alcohol for this purpose.
> The only thing you really have to be careful about it not to splash it
> on your clothes.
> Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
> Microbiology
> Dilworth wrote:
> > 
> > I was always under the assumption it was 20% bleach.  This was at my
> > former hospital that closed in 1996, but our safety officer from that
> > time now works at my place in chemistry on my shift, so I will run it by
> > him.......

More information about the Microbio mailing list