Ultraviolet Ecolgy

David Ramalho earthscibbs at home.com
Sat Mar 24 20:15:13 EST 2001

"R.I. Mateles" wrote:

> How far down does UV penetrate?  I'd imagine that most of the marine
> bacteria are going to be on/near the bottom or attached to solid particles
> in the water, and these particles might also shade any bacteria.
>
> Rich Mateles
>
> "Matt" <mattsn at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> news:996t2a$co1$1 at nntp.itservices.ubc.ca...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am currently putting together a website specifically on the effects of
> > ultraviolet radiation on marine bacteria, and on marine bacterial
> > communities. I am interested in both the effects of UV radiation at the
> > cellular and genetic level (such as mortality, genetic repair processes,
> > photoremediation) and the effects on ecology and community composition. I am
> > currently searching the literature on this topic, and am coming up with
> > somewhat scattered results. If anyone knows of any good sources of
> > information for this project, or of any particularly good authors in this
> > area, I'd really appreciate your input.
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Matt Sniatynski
> > UBC Department of Biology

 Good evening

 Molecular Studies of Ultraviolet Radiation Effects on Marine Bacteria
  http://www.nbiap.vt.edu/brarg/brasym94/jeffrey.htm

 Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation on Marine Ecosystems
  http://www.gbhap.com/fulltext/130/T960004F130.htm

 The Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation in Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems
  http://www.micro.utexas.edu/courses/mcmurry/fall97/7/cory.html

 Edited by Stephen J. De Mora, Serge Demers, Maria Vernet
 The Effects of UV Radiation in the Marine Environment
  http://uk.cambridge.org/chemistry/catalogue/0521632188/default.htm

 Effects of increased UVB radiation on Antarctic marine microalgae
  http://version0.neonet.nl/ceos-idn/datasets/NL_ANTARCTIC_UVB_MICROALGAE.html

 Ultraviolet Radiation and the Aquatic Biota (Disciplinary Connections)
  http://www.sgmeet.com/aslo/albuquerque2001/viewabstract2.asp?AbstractID=817&SessionID=SS21

 Deep-sea Bugs Shine From Radiation Repair
  http://www.spacer.com/spacecast/news/life-00j.html

 Papers about UVR
  http://www.efpu.com.ar/Eng/publicruv.htm

  Australian Institute of Marine Science
   - Environmental biochemistry
   http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/marine-bioproducts/mb-sp07.html

  Smithsonian Institution
   - Ecological effects of ultraviolet solar radiation
http://www.hrw.com/science/si-science/chemistry/thermodynamics/global/uvb_web_html/bacterioplankton.html

 Regards
 David Ramalho