surface disinfectant

John Gentile yjgent at home.com
Sun Mar 25 21:49:51 EST 2001


Before we lost our TB lab we used to clean all surfaces with 10% bleach
(0.5% final conc.) It did stain the stainless steel after many years of
cleaning. Our hood was always left running with the UV light on when not in
use, and we cleaned the UV bulb on a weekly basis.

Why do you state that the 1% bleach is not effective against mycobacteria?
I'm not sure that any living bacteria can survive against bleach.

-- 
John Gentile                                    Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at home.com                                      President
 "I never make mistakes, I only have unexpected learning opportunities"

> From: lamb <L.A.M.Buisman at chello.nl>
> Organization: A2000 Kabeltelevisie en Telecommunicatie
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:12:29 +0100
> Subject: Re: surface disinfectant
> 
> So it was 1%. Shouldn't do any damage then.
> We still have the problem that it is not effective against mycobacteria.
> Higher concentrations would be, but that does damage to the safety-hood.
> Denatured ethanol or isopropanol 70% are common disinfectants here for lab
> surfaces.
> Lyorthol was used also, but that is not allowed anymore for disinfection.
> Safety, environment or whatever. Our government still hasn't allowed a good
> alternative. So labs are still using old illegal lyorthol stocks or pray that
> 1% chlorine kills some of the mycobacteria in our waste.
> 
> Loes
> 
> Dilworth wrote:
> 
>> I checked with our former safety officer tonight about the bleach
>> solution.  He said we used it (20% bleach) because bleach gave a better
>> kill rate than any of the other disinfectants we could buy commercially
>> (and it was cheap).  He said he made it from household bleach, so that
>> it would be approx. a 1% working solution.
>> 
>> You could also make it from some of the fancy smelling bleaches Clorox
>> is putting out now, but it would be more expensive.
>> 
>> He also said we never had problems with it pitting any of the stainless
>> steel finishes on any of our equipment, either.  He had never heard of
>> anyone using an alcohol for this purpose.
>> 
>> The only thing you really have to be careful about it not to splash it
>> on your clothes.
>> 
>> Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
>> Microbiology
>> 
>> Dilworth wrote:
>>> 
>>> I was always under the assumption it was 20% bleach.  This was at my
>>> former hospital that closed in 1996, but our safety officer from that
>>> time now works at my place in chemistry on my shift, so I will run it by
>>> him.......
> 
> --
> Chello in het ziekenfondspakket?
> Onverzekerbare risico's vallen onder de AWBZ
> 
> 




More information about the Microbio mailing list