? UV mutation of fungus - intensity vs duration

Bob bbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 4 20:19:04 EST 2001

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:54:19 GMT, "Alan S. Wicks"
<NAP-4 at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I have seen several references to using UV light to mutate
>fungus.  The only question I have left regards the intensity
>vs duration.  The protocols usually only mention something
>generic like 'A GE germicidal lamp'.  The catalogs give me
>several choices as to intensity; they range from 31 to 152
>microWatts per cm^2.

Alan,

Doesn't matter what lamp you use; get something cheap. You can adjust
the dose rate by adjusting the distance between lamp and sample.

But the big point is that you need to run a dose response curve for
your own organism. The ability to be mutated by UV varies widely, and
you have no idea how your organisms will respond. (I am assuming you
are using some novel organisms.) Don't know about fungi, but some
bacteria are not easily mutated by UV.

bob

posted/emailed