Microbiology List: ? UV mutation of fungus - intensity vs duration

Prasun Ray prasunr at teri.res.in
Wed Sep 5 23:59:57 EST 2001

Dear Alan,
Even Iam looking forward to do some mutational studies in fungal systems.I wish if I could get releted references or access to any "protocol" as you have mentioned in your mail.
warm regards,

Prasun Ray
Research Associate (Trainee),
Centre For Mycorrhizal Research,
e-mail: prasunr at teri.res.in
The Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Mr Atal Behari Vajpayee, to inaugurate the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit on 7 February 2001.
Focus: "Poverty: the global challenge for governments, industry, scientists, and civil society"
Details at www.teriin.org/dsds/
Darbari Seth Block, Habitat Place
Lodi Road, New Delhi - 110 003 / India
Fax  468 2144  or 4682145    Country code 91
Tel.  4682100 or 468 2111   City code 11
Web  www.teriin.org

>>> NAP-4 at worldnet.att.net 09/04/01 09:24PM >>>

I have seen several references to using UV light to mutate
fungus.  The only question I have left regards the intensity
vs duration.  The protocols usually only mention something
generic like 'A GE germicidal lamp'.  The catalogs give me
several choices as to intensity; they range from 31 to 152
microWatts per cm^2.  Obviously this could make a dramatic
difference in the affects.

Does anyone have any ideas or good references on this?

Alan S. Wicks
Kennewick, WA