Microbiology List: ? UV mutation of fungus - intensity vs duration

Prasun Ray prasunr at teri.res.in
Thu Sep 6 00:13:52 EST 2001

Dear Bob,
How do you enumerate the dose /intensity of UV light that exactly the system (fungal/bacterial) is receiving exposed under UV lamp ?
Would you please  explain in little detail what is  dose response curve and how you do that?
warm regards,

Prasun Ray
Research Associate (Trainee),
Centre For Mycorrhizal Research,
e-mail: prasunr at teri.res.in
The Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Mr Atal Behari Vajpayee, to inaugurate the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit on 7 February 2001.
Focus: "Poverty: the global challenge for governments, industry, scientists, and civil society"
Details at www.teriin.org/dsds/
T E R I
Darbari Seth Block, Habitat Place
Lodi Road, New Delhi - 110 003 / India
Fax  468 2144  or 4682145    Country code 91
Tel.  4682100 or 468 2111   City code 11
Web  www.teriin.org

>>> bbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu 09/05/01 06:49AM >>>
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:54:19 GMT, "Alan S. Wicks"
<NAP-4 at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I have seen several references to using UV light to mutate
>fungus.  The only question I have left regards the intensity
>vs duration.  The protocols usually only mention something
>generic like 'A GE germicidal lamp'.  The catalogs give me
>several choices as to intensity; they range from 31 to 152
>microWatts per cm^2.

Alan,

Doesn't matter what lamp you use; get something cheap. You can adjust
the dose rate by adjusting the distance between lamp and sample.

But the big point is that you need to run a dose response curve for
your own organism. The ability to be mutated by UV varies widely, and
you have no idea how your organisms will respond. (I am assuming you
are using some novel organisms.) Don't know about fungi, but some
bacteria are not easily mutated by UV.

bob

posted/emailed

---