Bacterial density

Laurent laurentla at caramail.com
Thu Sep 20 07:29:23 EST 2001

serotonin1 wrote:

> 50 samples isn't all that much.  If you have a microplate reader you life
> will be made much easier, but you should be able to handle this problem with
> dilutions. Do they just have to be at the same dilution at one point in
> time, or do you need to have them hit the same OD at some point in the
> future?
Yes, I can use a microplate reader.
Strains have to be at the same dilution at one point in time, yes.
But they have to be in fast growing phase (exponential) and culture have
to be axenic.
They don't have the same growth kinetic parameters (as I can see on test
tubes).

You mean that strains can be cultured in liquid medium, then an aliquot
of
each put in well of a microplate, then read and the culture adjusted in
concentration
using the DO? That's what you mean, no?

Yes It seems to be more rapid. The density may be adjusted more easily.
I'll try!
Thanks a lot!

Laurent