Need help on NaOH and kerosene

Kostas Polyzonis polyzon at med.auth.gr
Thu Sep 27 00:50:53 EST 2001

21a524b0.0109262004.3a1f990a at posting.google.com...
news:<9ot3ds$aif$1 at orionl0.ccf.auth.gr>...
>> Stephan Bird <pcxsjb1.Nb at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Pine.GSO.4.21.0109251847350.25148-100000 at granby.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >As to the sterilizing of eggs, I think Sainsbury's (here in the
>> >UK) already *do* do something like that. By all accounts the eggs still
>> >taste *like* eggs, but not quite as nice as nature intended....
>> >
>> >Yours,
>> >Stephan
>>
>>     I doubt it. I remember our Food Microbiology lecturer telling us how
>> irradiation of food was going to be approved in the UK and then Chernobyl
>> happened. In the ensuing paranoia there was no way they could  get this
past
>> the public. Shame really, I would love to be able to cook my chicken
without
>> taking biohazard-type precautions in the kitchen (separate knife, wash
>> cutting board well, etc).
>>     On the subject of salad creams, mayonaise etc, companies nowdays use
>> pasteurized yolk. I don't know the exact time/temp used but it must be
>> tricky: Enough to kill the harmfull bags but not too much or it gets
cooked.
>> And it's also heavily salted. Maybe by lowering the water activity they
can
>> get away with milder heat treatment and still get the same result
>> microbwise.
>>
>> Kostas
>

>I'm not a biologist or anything close to it. But can the irradiation
>process kill only bad bacteria and keep the good ? Does sterile food
>have any implications ?  Just curious.
>
>Adam

I'm not a biologist either but i'll give it a try.
About sterilization I don't know. In pasteurization however different
combinations of heat/temp. treatments can kill different bacteria. There's
no correlation between resilience and pathogenicity. The combination used
nowdays was picked because it's enough to kill Mycobacterium
pseudotuberculosis (I think) and anything less resilient than that. Anything
less resilient includes common foodborne pathogens that can cause problems
(eg salmonela).

Kostas
PS I'm xposting this to a few other newsgroups where people more
knowledgeable can answer