source for E.coli NB42

Thu Aug 15 12:41:57 EST 2002

I was also curious, and did the search myself after I saw the initial post.
However, no clue where people get this strain from. I would just contact
authors of original papers who used the strain. Check Pubmed
(www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov ), as well as protein structure section at NCBI: some
proteins were expressed in NB42 for crystallization. My guess is it is
Neatene's NovaBlue strain, but there is no reference on their website. Maybe
worth calling Novagen as well. The Australian link seems to be irrelevant:
it's just a coincidental designation.
Emir

"Steve" <sstod at family-net.net> wrote in message
news:3D5AFB5D.85F10C51 at family-net.net...
> Dr. Blaschke,
>
> I'm no expert on E.coli strains, but you raised my curiosity so I did
> some searching.  Here's what I found.
>
> NB42 as an indicator strain for water quality monitoring in Sydney:

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/html/AER2000/html/qual_inland/hawkes_berowra_b
act.htm

> Found it in the following HTML document.  Perhaps Y.Q.GOSSER etal. would
> reveal a source:
>
> HEADER    KINASE                                  03-OCT-97   1AWO
> TITLE     THE SOLUTION NMR STRUCTURE OF ABL SH3 AND ITS RELATIONSHIP
> TITLE    2 TO SH2 IN THE SH(32) CONSTRUCT, 20 STRUCTURES
> COMPND    MOL_ID: 1;
> COMPND   2 MOLECULE: ABL TYROSINE KINASE;
> COMPND   3 CHAIN: NULL;
> COMPND   4 FRAGMENT: SRC-HOMOLOGY 3 (SH3) DOMAIN;
> COMPND   5 EC: 2.7.1.112;
> COMPND   6 ENGINEERED: YES;
> COMPND   7 MUTATION: N64S, N120S
> SOURCE    MOL_ID: 1;
> SOURCE   2 ORGANISM_SCIENTIFIC: HOMO SAPIENS;
> SOURCE   3 ORGANISM_COMMON: HUMAN;
> SOURCE   4 PLASMID: PGEX;
> SOURCE   5 EXPRESSION_SYSTEM: ESCHERICHIA COLI;
> SOURCE   6 EXPRESSION_SYSTEM_STRAIN: NB42;
> SOURCE   7 EXPRESSION_SYSTEM_PLASMID: PGEX;
> SOURCE   8 OTHER_DETAILS: EXPRESSED AS GST FUSIONS AND CLEAVED
> KEYWDS    KINASE, SH3 DOMAIN, TRANSFERASE, PHOSPHOTRANSFERASE,
> KEYWDS   2 PROTO-ONCOGENE, MULTIPLE DOMAIN, LEUKEMIA
> EXPDTA    NMR, 20 STRUCTURES
> AUTHOR    D.COWBURN
> REVDAT   1   28-JAN-98 1AWO    0
> JRNL        AUTH   Y.Q.GOSSER,J.ZHENG,M.OVERDUIN,B.J.MAYER,D.COWBURN
> JRNL        TITL   THE SOLUTION STRUCTURE OF ABL SH3, AND ITS
> JRNL        TITL 2 RELATIONSHIP TO SH2 IN THE SH(32) CONSTRUCT
> JRNL        REF    STRUCTURE (LONDON)            V.   3  1075 1995
> JRNL        REFN   ASTM STRUE6  UK ISSN 0969-2126                 2005
>

> Good Luck,
> Steve Stoddard
>

> Ulrich Blaschke wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone has informations about the E.coli strain NB42.
> > A commercial source of the strain would be extremly helpful.
> >
> > thanks, Ulrich

> > Dr. Ulrich K. Blaschke
> > november AG                               Tel   ++49 9131 75088-423
> > Ulrich-Schalk-Str. 3                      FAX           ++49 9131
75088-439
> > 91056
> > Erlangen                            email         blaschke at november.de
> > Germany                                   web           www.november.de
> >
> > november AG, Gesellschaft für Molekulare Medizin, Ulrich-Schalk-Str. 3,
> > D-91056 Erlangen/Germany
> > Tel: +49 (0) 9131 / 750 88 - 0, Fax: +49 (0) 9131 / 750 88 - 99
> > e-mail: info at november.de,   www.november.de
> > Vorstand: Dr. Wolf M. Bertling (Vorsitzender), Dr. Thomas Schulze,
> > Hans-Dieter Tresser
> > Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Gerald Möller (Vorsitzender), Ingolf Knaup, Ulrich
Kraft,