coliforms testing

nicolas_pomies at hotmail.com nicolas_pomies at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 06:04:28 EST 2002

Hello there,

I am working actually on coliforms testing...

I am dealing with concentrated bacterial blends : pseudomonas: NCIMB11358 (stutzeri), NCIMB9494 (putida), NCIMB10643 (spp.) and NCIMB11712(fluorescens).
Concentration around 1e+09 to 1e+10 CFU/ml.

I need to find out a test technique specific enough to give me a response when a contamination by coliforms appears.

I am actually using the RVBA "double layer" method @ 30oC / 24h...

Anyway since I am dealing with a high concentration in Gram neg. bacteria I have colorless colonies growing on my RVBA plate with the media going "yellowish", maybe hiding a coliform contamination...
Sometimes I had no growth at all ... suspicious with Gram neg. strains ?

In another hand, I made trials on media and test kits using ONPG response (ex: COLILERT) for determining Total Colifoms Response... the trouble is I don't know if those pseudomonas strains present a beta-galactosidase activity (I couldn't find it in the Bergeys) ... looks like NCIMB10643 present one anyway...

Thanks for helping....

nicolas

http://www.biowww.net/index.php/forum/forumlist/1/